I’ve had many conversations with moms about the proper balance of using technology in homeschool. We know technology can enhance the learning environment, but how? Today’s podcast interview will answer your questions!
My posts contains affiliate links.
Welcome to the show notes for Episode #46 of the Homeschool with Moxie Podcast!
As a former classroom teacher, now homeschooling mom of five, I love to equip and encourage other homeschooling families.
On the Homeschool with Moxie Podcast our goal is to inspire and encourage you with actionable strategies to take you from overwhelmed to confident in your homeschool adventure. Listen to interviews with amazing influencers in the homeschool world and beyond.
EPISODE #46: Using Technology in Your Homeschool
This episode is an interview I had with Dr. Monica Burns of the Easy EdTech Podcast. She’s an expert in the field of leveraging technology as a learning tool, and I was excited to hear her ideas of how we can bring the right balance of technology into our homeschools.
Monica has written several books on the topic:
Key Ideas with Technology Use:
- increasing access (think: virtual field trips, show what they know in a digital format, prepares them for the future)
- content consumption: active vs. passive, consumption vs. creation
- focus on incorporating just a few ideas at a time
- look for open-ended creation tools (tools with more than just one way to use them) like Adobe Express
- high level consumption of tech (example: Khan Academy tutorials)
- high level creation idea (example: create a digital portfolio of your best work)
- use joint media engagement for your youngest learners
- take informal inventory of your technology use and see where you need more balance
- creative idea to try: trade book trailers you make with another homeschool family!
- check out resources from Microsoft Education to help your dyslexic or other learning challenged students
- pass-back technology illustration: establishing the norms and expectations for your family usage