Many homeschooling parents dread the thought of teaching a child to read. But you can do it! Here are tips on how to teach your child to read.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. I will receive a commission if you purchase from these links. Thank you.
Welcome to the show notes for Episode #74 of the Homeschool with Moxie podcast!
As a former classroom teacher, now homeschooling mom of five, I love to equip and encourage other homeschooling families.
Stick around to learn how to homeschool with moxie. It’s about embracing your journey and finding your groove.
EPISODE #74: How to Teach Your Child to Read
In this episode, we’ll discuss the historical literacy trends in the United States and what’s behind it. Why do most of us believe that teaching reading is hard and best left to the “professionals?” Why are we told over and over that ordinary parents can’t do it properly?
We’ll also talk about what it takes to teach your kids to read and the best resources for your toolbox. In this episode, I’ll give you my best tips on how to teach your child to read.
Resources from today’s episode:
- National Assessment of Adult Literacy survey results
- Current U.S. Literacy Rate Statistics
- Passion-Driven Education by Connor Boyack (information on Common Sense taken from this excellent book!)
- The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto
- Ordinary Parent’s Guide to Teaching Reading
- Bob Books
- All About Reading